Trail Blasters Racing Team
NCC Trail Blasters Youth Mountain Bike Racing Team
The 2023 season brings a new program, adding to our already robust lineup of youth cycling programs. The youth mountain bike racing program focuses on a 4-race spring series of cross country mountain bike races through the well-regarded CT Cycling Advancement Program (CCAP). The season includes once-weekly Trail Blasters racing team practices and 4 weekend races where we compete against a full field of other fun-loving junior mountain bike racers. Practices and races take place in April and May. Program dates, locations, and details below.
This is a great way for kids to get out and try their hand at racing, or launch their season if they already have experience! Practices will focus on strategy, skills, faster-paced riding, and will be tailored to our team’s needs. Races will offer age and ability groups and will be attended by the head coach, assistant coaches, and parent volunteers.
The program is open to Northampton Cycling Club members with a racing age 9-18 (age as of 12/31/2023). While the focus is on racing, the only gear requirements are that kids have a trail-ready bike with gears, at least 24″ wheels, and a helmet.
In addition to the program fee ($200 with scholarships available) and individual race entry fees (typically $15 – $20 each), we also require that all participants have a valid USA Cycling junior race license (free with a code we can provide!), and be a current NCC member with either an individual junior ($10 per child under 18) or family membership ($55/year) to participate. This ensures all riders and coaches are adequately insured and covers the required race series costs. NCC is generously covering much of the program expenses not outlined here. If you’re at all unsure whether your child is ready or if you cannot afford the program fees listed above, please feel free to reach out to head racing coach Ross Krause.
Practices listed here are open to any NCC youth club member interested in race-focused training rides. We offer additional Trail Blasters group rides on Fridays and Sundays.
- Wednesdays from 5:30 – 7:00, April 12 – May 17
- One optional practice at race location #2 in Farmington, CT on Saturday, April 22
- Locations: Practice locations will vary based on trail conditions & weekly focus but will likely include Nonotuck Park (Easthampton), Pine Grove (Northampton), Bear Hole Watershed (Holyoke) or other locations within 20 minutes of Northampton
Mon, 4/3: Pine Grove, Northampton
Wed, 4/12: Bear Hole, Holyoke. Meet in the Ashley Reservoir parking lot at 250 Whitney Ave
Holyoke, MA 01040
Wed 4/19: Nonotuck / B Parcel, Easthampton. Meet in the gravel lot on Taft Ave. at 51–55 Taft Ave, Easthampton, MA 01027
Sat, 4/22: Winding Trails, CT (race venue)
Wed, 4/26: Sawmill, Florence. Meet at the Armory entrance at end of Col. Lavellee Ln. off Spring St. in Florence
Sat, 4/29: Robinson State Park, Agawam. Meet at the Robinson Elementary School parking lot at 65 Begley St., Agawam, MA 01001
Wed, 5/3: Earl’s Trails, Hadley
Wed, 5/10: Bear Hole, Holyoke. Meet in the Ashley Reservoir parking lot at 250 Whitney Ave
Holyoke, MA 01040
Wed, 5/16: Sawmill, Florence. Meet at the Armory entrance at end of Col. Lavellee Ln. off Spring St. in Florence
- Race #1 Sunday 4/16/2023 Hop Brook MTB in Middlebury, CT
- Race #2 Sunday 4/23/2023 Fat Tire Classic at Winding Trails in Farmington, CT
- Race #3 Saturday 5/6/2023 Belltown Throwdown at YMCA Camp Ingersoll in East Hampton, CT
- Race #4 Sunday 5/21/2023 Team Red Dragon at Hatchery Brook in Berlin, CT
The races are part of the CCAP spring mountain bike series. As a registered regional team, we will vie for both individual and team points throughout the entire series. We plan to make the races a fun time with food, cheering, and friends!
To sign up, please follow these steps:
- Register to be part of the team and pay the program fee on our BikeReg page.
- Once registered you’ll receive a confirmation email with a coupon code to buy or renew a USA Cycling junior race license and a password for the CCAP series signup page.
- Use the code provided in the BikeReg confirmation email to get your free USA Cycling junior race license here.
- Sign up on the CCAP teams page to officially join the race series. Scroll down and select NCC Trail Blasters. Use the password provided in your BikeReg confirmation email.
- If you have not already, please be sure to join NCC (or renew) with either an individual junior ($10 per child under 18) or family membership ($55/year).
Our head racing coach is a licensed USA Cycling coach and all our coaches are Safesport certified and have years of experience running youth cycling programs. Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions:
NCC Trail Blasters Head Racing Coach