A New England Classic Through the Hilltowns of the Berkshires
June 25, 2022
The Tour of the Hilltowns is a classic New England road race. It features many amateur divisions and a more challenging professional field. The race begins at the Notchview Reservation in Windsor, MA. It includes the challenging Route 8A descent and the difficult East Hawley Road climb, which the pros ascend twice.
- Standard BikeReg fee applied to online registration.
- Day-of Registration will be available, but with a $10 surcharge
- Juniors (18 and under) pay full fee when registering. At bib pickup, refund minus $5 paid in cash. (Juniors race for $5).
- Held under USA Cycling event permit # 5406
- All USA Cycling rules apply; approved helmets are mandatory; no mountain bikes, aero bars or straight bars.
- There will be roll-out for any riders age 18 or younger immediately following their finish.
- Races may be combined if less than 10 riders are pre-registered for any category.
- USA Cycling license required. One-day licenses may be purchased on BikeReg.
- Wheels in / Wheels out for all fields.
- Bring your trainer to warm up. There is limited space at Notchview. Do not warm up on Rte 9 or Rte 9A. riders warming up on the local roads do so at their own risk.
Course Description: An 84.2 mile double loop with two major climbs and one feed zone for the P/1/2/3 category, and a 52.6 mile loop with one major climb and one feed zone for all other categories. Start is at Notchview Reservation on Rt. 9 in Windsor, MA. Finish is a short 6% climb at the top of Rte 8A in Windsor, about 1.5 miles from Notchview. FRESH PAVED ROADS! The Rte 8A descent in Hawley is beautiful, smooth pavement- no more of those dangerous lateral cracks!
REGISTER HERE: https://www.bikereg.com/ncc-tour-of-the-hilltowns
Current NCC Members get a discount! Check out this page for your coupon code!
Volunteers Needed: We need volunteers to help make a safe race. If a racer brings a volunteer, the racer’s entry fee is waived. Sign up to volunteer here. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org in advance with the name of the racer and the volunteer.
Directions to Notchview Reservation: West on Route 9 from Northampton, MA, 29 miles to Windsor. Notchview Reservation is about one mile east of Windsor Center and Rt. 8A. Use 2241 Berkshire Trail, Windsor, MA for your GPS (Google Map). Parking is in the field prior to the Notchview sign/entrance, look for parking signs. NO PARKING ALLOWED AT THE FINISH OR ANYWHERE ON RTE 8A.
Helpful Files for Download:
Area Attractions: The race location is less than a 30-minute drive to the Berkshires or the Pioneer Valley. Discover epic riding, hiking, swimming, zip-lines, paddling, shopping, dining and more.
- Head west on Rte 9 to The Berkshires, featuring beautiful open farms, mountains, historic railroads, museums, small towns, hidden hiking and swimming gems, and more. Start with The Berkshires Website for discovery. The New York Times has a great article about 36 hours in the Berkshires.
- Head east on Rte 9 to the Pioneer Valley, also featuring beautiful open farms, larger towns and cities, the Five College community, many wineries and breweries, but still plenty of hidden recreational opportunities and unique shopping and dining, notably in Northampton and Amherst.
Video Course Preview: