New NCC Riders
Are you looking for a chance to:
- meet like-minded new friends on social rides?
- improve your fitness, being challenged by healthy riders?
- sharpen your riding skills by learning from experienced ride leaders?
- ride more safely in a group?
- for the faster rider, enjoy the excitement of a pace line?
If so, welcome to the Northampton Cycling Club Group Rides!
How do I start?
The NCC offers a variety of rides for club members of various levels of experience — from those who have never ridden in a group to those who want to ride with some of the best cyclists in the area. Group rides are open to those 16 and over. For younger riders, see the Youth Cycling Series or the Junior Cyclocross Training Series. Anyone is welcome to join us for two trial rides before joining the club. If you prefer indoor riding on Zwift, you do not need to be a member, but are encouraged to do so. For indoor rides, see our Zwift Rides.
Here’s what to do:
- Choose the ride that best matches your speed & skill level from our Ride Descriptions
- Check the Ride Calendar for when that ride occurs. Detailed ride information (including routes) will be found in the free Link My Ride app.
- Sign the club Waiver or join the club
- Read the NCC Ride Guidelines & Safety
- Arrive 10 minutes early and introduce yourself to the Ride Leader, who can answer any further questions
Pro Tip: If you are at all unsure of which ride to try, pick one that is slower than you think would work. Especially in the beginning of the season, rides can become more challenging than you expect. You can always move to the next faster ride the following week.
If you have never ridden in a group, please start with the Monday Delta Ride. One of our top riders runs this ride — which is typically a small group — and will be sure that you understand the basics before you step up to a larger ride.
Where can I learn more?
During the outdoor season, the NCC offers rides five days per week. The regular rides are geared towards cyclists of different abilities with the goals of having fun, socializing, and getting a great workout.
Western Massachusetts, especially the Pioneer Valley, has spectacular riding routes. The NCC’s Ride Route Library highlights many of the region’s best routes.
When it gets cold, we shift to indoor riding through Zwift, the online cycling and running program. The NCC hosts regular social rides, races, and a hill climb/time trial series.
Knowing your rights as a cyclist is very important. The NCC has prepared a quick summary of Massachusetts bike laws for its members.