Ride Organization and Safety
Safety Rules for Everyone
- Riders should be single file except when the width of the road or shoulder allows for side by side riding.
- When passing slower riders, always pass on the left.
- Riders should be as far right as is safe to do so, preferably to the right of the white line.
- When pulling to the left (when passing slower riders or descending back from the front of a pace line) always look back first.
- Don’t ride with an overlap with the rider in front of you.
- When riding in a pace line, keep your speed consistent.
- Point out road debris and dangerous conditions to riders behind you.
- Don’t wear earbuds or anything else that might impair your hearing.
- Carry some type of identification including emergency contact information.
Guidelines for Ride Leaders
- Post the ride – provide meeting time and place, leader contact, speed/skill level, route and duration, cancellation, & description details
- Make weather calls
- Carry a cell phone
- Show up before the start time
- Introduce yourself as the leader of the ride
- Welcome new folks and make them feel comfortable
- Go over route
- Go over speed, pace expectations
- Go over rules of the ride and the road
- Bookmark the waiver form and make sure everyone who is not a member fills it out before riding. It is mobile device friendly.
- Fill out this quick form to help us keep track of attendance
- Keep the group together – be on the look out for stragglers and technical issues but not be responsible for fixing flats etc as riders should be self sufficient
- Write a ride report (or ask someone else to)
- Post a ride report to the discussion forum
Guidelines for Participants
- Have your bicycle in good repair and tires in good condition
- Carry the necessities to repair a flat tire
- Remember to bring enough liquids and carbs
- Choose rides at your speed/skill level
- Wear sunscreen if needed