For the seventh week of the NCC Zwift Hill Climb/Time Trial Series, we visited London.
This week, our challenge was Leith Hill. This 1.2 mile hill averages a gradient of 7% and includes 440 feet of climbing.
With the chill in the air, we had our largest Zwift hill climb of the season so far.
For the group ride version, we had seven riders. Despite exhaustion from a trip to the west coast, Andy took the top spot by five seconds. Zinj and Jonathan crossed the line together, and Jonathan, exuding sportsmanship, informed me that Zinj beat him by 0.2 seconds. Granted, it was later revealed that Zinj has not weighed himself in a while, so there may be an appeal arriving in my inbox soon. Nevertheless, Zinj was second on the day.
Henry vdB was back from his around-the-world trip. Despite the jet lag, he finished fourth.
Joe rode a little later in the evening and took the fifth spot. Congratulations to Joe for his first NCC Zwift Hill Climb.
Steve was just off the extended podium, while Henry and I completed the course as part of our workouts.
Through seven weeks, there has yet to be a PR this season.
Here are today’s results:
1. MacDonald, Andy; Time: 0:06:15; 11.6 mph; 8 points
2. Guo, Zinj; Time: 0:06:20; 11.5 mph; 7 points
3. O’Keeffe, Jonathan; Time: 0:06:20; 11.5 mph; 6 points
4. van den Broek, Henry; Time: 0:07:18; 10 mph; 5 points
5. Laviolette, Joe; Time: 0:07:58; 9.1 mph; 4 points
6. Wysk, Steve; Time: 0:08:30; 8.6 mph; 3 points
7. Wheaton, Henry; Time: 0:09:52; 7.4 mph; 2 points
8. Bello, Michael; Time: 0:12:48; 5.7 mph; 1 points
Here are the series standings:
1. O’Keeffe, Jonathan; Event(s) 7; Points: 35
2. Guo, Zinj; Event(s) 6; Points: 30
3. MacDonald, Andy; Event(s) 5; Points: 29
4. Warwick, Melissa; Event(s) 3; Points: 12
5. Wheaton, Henry; Event(s) 5; Points: 10
5. Downey, Tim; Event(s) 3; Points: 10
7. Yarosh, Scott; Event(s) 1; Points: 8
7. van den Broek, Henry; Event(s) 2; Points: 8
9. Wysk, Steve; Event(s) 3; Points: 7
9. Bello, Michael; Event(s) 7; Points: 7
11. Laviolette, Joe; Event(s) 1; Points: 4
Next week, we will do a time trial on the Richmond UCI Worlds course from 2015.
Participants in the Hill Climb/TT series may ride any time during the day or participate in the group ride version at 6:00 PM. Please visit the NCC Zwift page for the series rules.
Here is the NCC Zwift schedule:
- Tuesday 6:00 PM – Time Trial / Hill Climb
- Wednesday 8:00 PM – Social Ride
- Thursday Evenings – Road Race (times will vary between 5 PM and 7 PM EST)
- Sat 9:00 AM – Social Ride
To learn more about the NCC and Zwift rides, please visit our Zwift page.