Last night we raced Stage Two of Zwift’s Tour of Watopia, one lap of the Eastern Eight route, which is mostly flat, but features a moderate climb up and over Titan’s Grove in each direction. Melissa, Zinj, and I showed up for the start, on one of the longer Thursday night races that we’ve done (33.4 miles).
The flat opening section through the desert was very fast, and the group broke up much more than it usually does on a flat section. An elite group of about five escaped from the front, and I was relegated to the chase group of about a dozen. Zinj and Melissa were in the next group back. Things mostly stayed that way over the first climb, and then my group broke up further over the second climb. Zinj decided to call it quits after an hour, but not before putting in a big final effort that shattered his group as well. I was down to a two-man group at the end, for a (sucessful) head-to-head sprint, and Melissa came in solo a few places further back.
Results for Week Two:
- Jonathan O’Keeffe (B) – 9 of 64 = 91.9 points
- Melissa Warwick (B) – 25 of 64 = 85.3 points
- Zinj Guo (B) – DNF = 0.0 points
Overall Series Standings after Week Two:
- Jonathan O’Keeffe (2 races) – 174.0 points
- Melissa Warwick (1 race) – 85.3 points
- Tim Downey (1 race) – 73.5 points
- Zinj Guo (1 race) – 0.0 points
Here is the NCC Zwift schedule:
- Tuesday 6:00 PM – Time Trial / Hill Climb
- Wednesday 8:00 PM – Social Ride
- Thursday Evenings – Road Race (times will vary between 5 PM and 7 PM EST)
- Sat 9:00 AM – Social Ride
To learn more about the NCC and Zwift rides, please visit our Zwift page.