For the ninth week of the NCC Zwift Fall Hill Climb/Time Trial Series, we rode in Watopia.
This week, our challenge was the Epic KOM. This 5.8 mile mountain took us up 1,361 feet.
To give a brief summary of the series rules, points are awarded based on the number of competitors and individuals’ overall placing. For example, if there are 19 riders, the person with the best time is awarded 19 points, second gets 18 points all the way down to the last rider, who gets 1 point. At the end of the Zwift series, the rider with the most points will be awarded the NCC Zwift Series title. For time trials, participants must use a time trial bike, which prevents drafting. For hill climbs, participants may choose any type of bike.
Participants may ride any time during the day or participate in the group ride version at 6:00 PM. In the group ride version, we typically warm up together before individually completing the time trial.
Jonathan and Zinj battled for the top spot this evening. They were neck and neck going over the finish and completed the climb with the exact same Strava time. On Zwift, Zinj got Jonathan by 0.2 seconds! The new expression is “every millisecond counts.”
After a morning outdoor ride, a lunchtime Zwift ride, and an afternoon outdoor ride, Patrick still put up an impressive time!
Recovering from a cold, I meandered up the mountain at a moderate pace. I actually felt better as I kept climbing.
Congrats to Zinj, Melissa, Tim, Andy, Ari, and Iggy on their PRs today.
Here are today’s results:
1. Guo, Zinj; Time: 0:23:41*; 14.8 mph; 10 points
2. O’Keeffe, Jonathan; Time: 0:23:41; 14.8 mph; 9 points
3. Warwick, Melissa; Time: 0:24:25*; 14.4 mph; 8 points
4. Downey, Tim; Time: 0:24:49*; 14.1 mph; 7 points
5. van den Broek, Henry; Time: 0:25:22; 13.8 mph; 6 points
6. Ryan, Patrick; Time: 0:25:41; 13.7 mph; 5 points
7. MacDonald, Andy; Time: 0:26:48*; 13.1 mph; 4 points
8. Bello, Michael; Time: 0:30:29; 11.5 mph; 3 points
9. Daube-Valois, Ari; Time: 0:33:09*; 10.6 mph; 2 points
10. Gaydamovich Grzelazka, Iggy; Time: 0:35:42*; 9.8 mph; 1 points
Here are the series standings:
1. O’Keeffe, Jonathan; Event(s) 9; Points: 68
2. Guo, ZInj; Event(s) 8; Points: 57
3. Ryan, Patrick; Event(s) 8; Points: 47
4. Warwick, Melissa; Event(s) 9; Points: 44
5. Downey, Tim; Event(s) 9; Points: 42
6. Bello, Michael; Event(s) 9; Points: 21
7. Bailey, Charlie; Event(s) 5; Points: 17
8. van den Broek, Henry; Event(s) 3; Points: 16
9. MacDonald, Andy; Event(s) 6; Points: 12.5
10. Daube-Valois, Ari; Event(s) 2; Points: 5
11. Gaydamovich Grzelazka, Iggy; Event(s) 4; Points: 4
12. Coleman, Jeremy; Event(s) 1; Points: 2
13. Bilodeau, Megan; Event(s) 1; Points: 1
Next week, we will do a four lap time trial of the Volcano Circuit in Watopia.
Here is the NCC Zwift schedule:
- Tuesday 6:00 PM – Time Trial / Hill Climb (invite required)
- Wednesday 8:00 PM – Social Ride (invite required)
- Thursday Evenings – Road Race (times will vary between 5 PM and 7 PM EST)
- Sat 9:00 AM – Social Ride (invite required)
Join the NCC Club on Zwift or select the link in the discussion board/calendar for invite-only rides.