NOTE: We will not be racing next Thursday, as copious turkey ingestion followed by an all-out Zwift effort just seems like a really bad idea. The Thursday night series will resume on December 2.
Tonight’s race was a jumbo edition, two laps of the 14+ mile Volcano Climb circuit in Watopia, with each lap featuring a long flat section punctuated by a trip to the top of the volcano. We had about 20 starters in the B group, including Zinj and I, and surprise visit from Patrick in his first appearance in this fall’s road race series. The race was posted as a separate-category event (each cat only sees other riders in that group), but when we rolled out it was everyone mixed together, which always makes for a tough and fast start. There was a big group of 40+ in the front, but they were flying, and I had to burn a few matches just to hang on the fishing village climb and the dirty sorpresa descent. By the time we got to the volcano I was hurting, and was quickly ejected off the back. I found a group of five that hung together for most of the way, and ended up second in the group and fourth overall. Zinj and Patrick also posted top-ten finishes, and Michael just missed the podium with fourth in the C group.
Week seven results:
- Jonathan O’Keeffe (B) – 4 of 13 – 76.9 points
- Patrick Ryan (B) – 7 of 13 – 53.8 points
- Michael Bello (C) – 4 of 6 – 50.0 points
- Zinj Guo (B) – 9 of 13 – 38.5 points
Overall standings after week seven:
- Jonathan O’Keeffe (7 races) – 548.0 points
- Michael Bello (6 races) – 316.3 points
- Zinj Guo (3 races) – 112.9 points
- Charlie Bailey (4 races) – 80.0 points
- Patrick Ryan (1 race) – 53.8 points
- Melissa Warwick (3 races) – 45.9 points
Here is the NCC Zwift schedule:
- Tuesday 6:00 PM – Time Trial / Hill Climb (invite required)
- Wednesday 8:00 PM – Social Ride (invite required)
- Thursday Evenings – Road Race (times will vary between 5 PM and 7 PM EST)
- Sat 9:00 AM – Social Ride (invite required)
Follow “Michael Bello – NCC” on Zwift for invites to the invite-only rides.
Check the NCC calendar for full details on all events. To learn more about the NCC and Zwift rides, please visit our Zwift page.