For the seventh week of the NCC Zwift Fall Hill Climb/Time Trial Series, we visited London.
This week, our challenge was the Leith Hill. This 1.2 mile hill averages a gradient of 7% and includes 440 feet of climbing.
To give a brief summary of the series rules, points are awarded based on the number of competitors and individuals’ overall placing. For example, if there are 19 riders, the person with the best time is awarded 19 points, second gets 18 points all the way down to the last rider, who gets 1 point. At the end of the Zwift series, the rider with the most points will be awarded the NCC Zwift Series title. For time trials, participants must use a time trial bike, which prevents drafting. For hill climbs, participants may choose any type of bike.
Participants may ride any time during the day or participate in the group ride version at 6:00 PM. In the group ride version, we typically warm up together before individually completing the time trial.
Despite being a short climb, Leith Hill is hard! Patrick won the climb with an impressive time that placed him in the NCC top-10 all-time. Not to be outdone, Melissa took 20 seconds off her NCC QOM and surpassed Jonathan by a single second.
We had two groups tonight. Ari and I were in the second group and began the climb about 8 minutes behind the main peloton. This allowed the main group to “encourage” us as Ari and I battled up the climb.
Congrats to Patrick, Melissa, Tim, Ari, and Iggy on their PRs.
Here are today’s results:
1. Ryan, Patrick; Time: 0:05:45*; 12.7 mph; 7 points
2. Warwick, Melissa; Time: 0:06:09*; 11.8 mph; 6 points
3. O’Keeffe, Jonathan; Time: 0:06:10; 11.8 mph; 5 points
4. Downey, Tim; Time: 0:06:28*; 11.3 mph; 4 points
5. Daube-Valois, Ari; Time: 0:06:49*; 10.7 mph; 3 points
6. Bello, Michael; Time: 0:07:05; 10.3 mph; 2 points
7. Gaydamovich Grzelazka, Iggy; Time: 0:09:16*; 7.9 mph; 1 points
Here are the series standings:
1. O’Keeffe, Jonathan; Event(s) 7; Points: 51
2. Guo, ZInj; Event(s) 6; Points: 41
3. Ryan, Patrick; Event(s) 6; Points: 35
4. Downey, Tim; Event(s) 7; Points: 32
5. Warwick, Melissa; Event(s) 7; Points: 31
6. Bailey, Charlie; Event(s) 5; Points: 17
7. Bello, Michael; Event(s) 7; Points: 16
8. MacDonald, Andy; Event(s) 5; Points: 8.5
9. van den Broek, Henry; Event(s) 1; Points: 6
10. Daube-Valois, Ari; Event(s) 1; Points: 3
11. Gaydamovich Grzelazka, Iggy; Event(s) 2; Points: 2
11. Coleman, Jeremy; Event(s) 1; Points: 2
13. Bilodeau, Megan; Event(s) 1; Points: 1
Next week, we will do a time trial on the Richmond UCI Worlds course from 2015.
Here is the NCC Zwift schedule:
- Tuesday 6:00 PM – Time Trial / Hill Climb (invite required)
- Wednesday 8:00 PM – Social Ride (invite required)
- Thursday Evenings – Road Race (times will vary between 5 PM and 7 PM EST)
- Sat 9:00 AM – Social Ride (invite required)
Follow “Michael Bello – NCC” on Zwift for invites to the invite-only rides.