For the fifth week of the NCC Zwift Fall Hill Climb/Time Trial Series, we ascended a volcano.
This week, our challenge was the Volcano KOM in Watopia. This 2.33 mile climb has a 3% average gradient (394 feet). This is a short climb, but still very challenging.
To give a brief summary of the series rules, points are awarded based on the number of competitors and individuals’ overall placing. For example, if there are 19 riders, the person with the best time is awarded 19 points, second gets 18 points all the way down to the last rider, who gets 1 point. At the end of the Zwift series, the rider with the most points will be awarded the NCC Zwift Series title. For time trials, participants must use a time trial bike, which prevents drafting. For hill climbs, participants may choose any type of bike.
Participants may ride any time during the day or participate in the group ride version at 6:00 PM. In the group ride version, we typically warm up together before individually completing the time trial.
Congratulations to Zinj, Patrick, Tim, Andy, and Iggy on the PRs on the Volcano KOM.
Zinj and Charlie were not huge fans of the long warm up. There were several utterances of “are we there yet?” I threatened to turn the ride around and they stopped complaining.
Melissa, fresh off a dangerous tag mishap while substitute teaching sixth grade gym class, took it slow today. As always, she encouraged us all as we ascended the volcano.
Iggy joined us for the first time today. He had some technology issues, but still managed to get a PR on the climb.
Here are today’s results:
1. O’Keeffe, Jonathan; Time: 0:07:38; 18.3 mph; 9 points
2. Guo, Zinj; Time: 0:07:41*; 18.2 mph; 8 points
3. Ryan, Patrick; Time: 0:07:44*; 18.1 mph; 7 points
4. Bailey, Charlie; Time: 0:08:06; 17.3 mph; 6 points
5. Downey, Tim; Time: 0:08:23*; 16.7 mph; 5 points
6. Bello, Michael; Time: 0:08:51; 15.8 mph; 4 points
7. MacDonald, Andy; Time: 0:09:14*; 15.2 mph; 3 points
8. Warwick, Melissa; Time: 0:09:36; 14.6 mph; 2 points
9. Gaydamovich Grzelazka, Iggy; Time: 0:12:29*; 11.2 mph; 1 points
Here are the series standings:
1. O’Keeffe, Jonathan; Event(s) 5; Points: 39
2. Guo, ZInj; Event(s) 5; Points: 36
3. Downey, Tim; Event(s) 5; Points: 24
4. Warwick, Melissa; Event(s) 5; Points: 23
5. Ryan, Patrick; Event(s) 4; Points: 20
6. Bailey, Charlie; Event(s) 4; Points: 14
7. Bello, Michael; Event(s) 5; Points: 13
8. MacDonald, Andy; Event(s) 5; Points: 8.5
9. Coleman, Jeremy; Event(s) 1; Points: 2
10. Gaydamovich Grzelazka, Iggy; Event(s) 1; Points: 1
10. Bilodeau, Megan; Event(s) 1; Points: 1
Next week, we will do a time trial on the Park Perimeter Loop in New York City.
Here is the NCC Zwift schedule:
- Tuesday 6:00 PM – Time Trial / Hill Climb (invite required)
- Wednesday 8:00 PM – Social Ride (invite required)
- Thursday Evenings – Road Race (times will vary between 5 PM and 7 PM EST)
- Sat 9:00 AM – Social Ride (invite required)
Follow “Michael Bello – NCC” on Zwift for invites to the invite-only rides.