For the second week of the NCC Zwift Fall Hill Climb/Time Trial Series, we rode a time trial in Yorkshire.
The challenge for the day was the 2019 UCI Worlds Harrogate Circuit. The course is 8.58 miles with an average gradient of 0%. That said, there is still 787 feet of climbing throughout the course.
To give a brief summary of the series rules, points are awarded based on the number of competitors and individuals’ overall placing. For example, if there are 19 riders, the person with the best time is awarded 19 points, second gets 18 points all the way down to the last rider, who gets 1 point. At the end of the Zwift series, the rider with the most points will be awarded the NCC Zwift Series title. For time trials, participants must use a time trial bike, which prevents drafting. For hill climbs, participants may choose any type of bike.
Participants may ride any time during the day or participate in the group ride version at 6:00 PM. In the group ride version, we typically warm up together before individually completing the time trial.
With the exception of Patrick, everyone was on Discord. We conversed during our warm up lap and then a few of us dropped off to listen to music during the TT lap. Patrick went full speed from the very beginning and put out some powerful watts that intimidated us all.
Tim, Melissa, Patrick, and Andy all earned Strava PRs tonight. Melissa improved her NCC QOM status for the Harrogate Circuit.
Here are today’s results:
1. O’Keeffe, Jonathan; Time: 0:21:55; 23.5 mph; 8 points
2. Guo, ZInj; Time: 0:22:19; 23.1 mph; 7 points
3. Downey, Tim; Time: 0:22:46*; 22.6 mph; 6 points
4. Warwick, Melissa; Time: 0:22:49*; 22.6 mph; 5 points
5. Ryan, Patrick; Time: 0:23:50*; 21.6 mph; 4 points
6. Bailey, Charlie; Time: 0:24:02; 21.4 mph; 3 points
7. Bello, Michael; Time: 0:24:54; 20.7 mph; 2 points
8. MacDonald, Andy; Time: 0:25:08*; 20.5 mph; 1 points
Here are the series standings:
1. O’Keeffe, Jonathan; Event(s) 2; Points: 16
2. Guo, ZInj; Event(s) 2; Points: 14
3. Warwick, Melissa; Event(s) 2; Points: 11
3. Downey, Tim; Event(s) 2; Points: 11
5. Bello, Michael; Event(s) 2; Points: 6
6. Ryan, Patrick; Event(s) 1; Points: 4
6. MacDonald, Andy; Event(s) 2; Points: 4
8. Bailey, Charlie; Event(s) 1; Points: 3
9. Coleman, Jeremy; Event(s) 1; Points: 2
10. Bilodeau, Megan; Event(s) 1; Points: 1
Next week, we will do a hill climb up the Innsbruck KOM.
Here is the NCC Zwift schedule:
- Tuesday 6:00 PM – Time Trial / Hill Climb (invite required)
- Wednesday 8:00 PM – Social Ride (invite required)
- Thursday Evenings – Road Race (times will vary between 5 PM and 7 PM EST)
- Sat 9:00 AM – Social Ride (invite required)
Follow “Michael Bello – NCC” on Zwift for invites to the invite-only rides.