The NCC Zwift Fall Hill Climb/Time Trial Series commenced today.
The challenge for the day was Box Hill in London. This hill is 1.87 miles with an average gradient of 4% (446 feet of climbing).
To give a brief summary of the series rules, points are awarded based on the number of competitors and individuals’ overall placing. For example, if there are 19 riders, the person with the best time is awarded 19 points, second gets 18 points all the way down to the last rider, who gets 1 point. At the end of the Zwift series, the rider with the most points will be awarded the NCC Zwift Series title. For time trials, participants must use a time trial bike, which prevents drafting. For hill climbs, participants may choose any type of bike.
Participants may ride any time during the day or participate in the group ride version at 6:00 PM. In the group ride version, we typically warm up together before individually completing the time trial.
For many of us, we were a bit rusty. I somehow miscalculated the start point of Box Hill by two miles! Fortunately, the slightly longer warm up was fine by the group. The Discord banter picked right up were it left off in April. It was fun to chat with people before and after the short hill climb.
Here are today’s results:
1. O’Keeffe, Jonathan; Time: 0:07:24; 15.2 mph; 8 points
2. Guo, ZInj; Time: 0:07:46; 14.5 mph; 7 points
3. Warwick, Melissa; Time: 0:07:59*; 14.1 mph; 6 points
4. Downey, Tim; Time: 0:08:10;* 13.7 mph; 5 points
5. Bello, Michael; Time: 0:08:31; 13.2 mph; 4 points
6. MacDonald, Andy; Time: 0:08:34*; 13.1 mph; 3 points
7. Coleman, Jeremy; Time: 0:08:57; 12.5 mph; 2 points
8. Bilodeau, Megan; Time: 0:09:27*; 11.9 mph; 1 points
Here are the series standings:
1. O’Keeffe, Jonathan; Event(s) 1; Points: 8
2. Guo, ZInj; Event(s) 1; Points: 7
3. Warwick, Melissa; Event(s) 1; Points: 6
4. Downey, Tim; Event(s) 1; Points: 5
5. Bello, Michael; Event(s) 1; Points: 4
6. MacDonald, Andy; Event(s) 1; Points: 3
7. Coleman, Jeremy; Event(s) 1; Points: 2
8. Bilodeau, Megan; Event(s) 1; Points: 1
Next week, we will do a time trial on the 2019 UCI Worlds Harrogate Circuit.
Here is the NCC Zwift schedule:
- Tuesday 6:00 PM – Time Trial / Hill Climb (invite required)
- Wednesday 8:00 PM – Social Ride (invite required)
- Thursday Evenings – Road Race (times will vary between 5 PM and 7 PM EST)
- Sat 9:00 AM – Social Ride (invite required)
Follow “Michael Bello – NCC” on Zwift for invites to the invite-only rides.