As some of you know, we had a major incident in the long time trial this evening. At the turn onto Elm Street for the final 2 miles, Andy MacDonald went down hard and did some major damage to himself. Frank S was the first rider to come upon him and was busy trying to stabilize the situation. I came along next and directed traffic so there wouldn’t be any further damage. Frank called 911 and luckily, a nurse from Hatfield named Susan Willis was driving by and with the help of another lovely Hatfield Good Samaritan named Nancy Duseau, they were able to comfort Andy and do all the right things that needed to be done. Eventually two Hatfield police showed up and did some crowd control and eventually an ambulance arrived. Susan highly recommended that he be taken to Baystate in Springfield as she felt they had a top notch trauma unit.
Meanwhile, I called Andy’s wife and left the undoubtedly unwanted message while others who completed the TT came back to help out. Jonathan called his wife and she was able to find Andy’s wife (they’re neighbors) so all communication lines were established. Here is what Christine (Andy’s wife) has told me so far – broken collarbone, three broken ribs, small lung collapse but they haven’t yet done a full evaluation. Luckily, there doesn’t seem to be any major head injuries other than some nasty abrasions. She expects he’ll be there for a few days.
Frank and I were on the scene for about 30 or 40 minutes but eventually rode to the finish line. I’m not sure how to factor our times in but this is what I’ve decided to do – see below. Screaming time by one of my cyclocross pals, David Marti, who took the win tonight.
Here is a link to the series so far:
And finally, today’s results:
1. David Marti; Time: 42:49; 25.78 mph; 13 points
2. Carson Poe; Time: 44:12; 24.98 mph; 12 points
3. Jonathan O’Keeffe; Time: 45:00; 24.53 mph; 11 points
4. Zinj Guo; Time: 45:03; 24.51 mph; 10 points
5. Melissa Warwick; Time: 46:52; 23.56 mph; 9 points
6. Madeline Nagy; Time: 48:21; 22.83 mph; 8 points
7. Henry Wheaton; Time: 50:57; 21.67 mph; 7 points
8. Roger Stawasz; Time: 50:59; 21.65 mph; 6 points
9. Cindy White; Time: 55:05; 20.04 mph; 5 points
10. Donna Wilson; Time: 55:57; 19.73 mph; 4 points
11. Frank Sleegers; Time: 78:00; 14.15 mph; 3 points
12. David Goodwin; Time: 80:41; 13.68 mph; 2 points
13. Andy MacDonald; Time: 99:00; 11.15 mph; 1 points
Next Tuesday is the (Northampton – Westhampton – Huntington Route 66) Westhampton Hillclimb.