For the 10th week of the NCC Zwift Winter Hill Climb/Time Trial Series, we rode in Watopia.
This week, our challenge was four laps of the Volcano Circuit. In total, the four laps covered 10.2 miles with 224 feet of climbing.
To give a brief summary of the series rules, participants must use a time trial bike, which prevents drafting. Points are awarded based on the number of competitors and individuals’ overall placing. For example, if there are 19 riders, the person with the best time is awarded 19 points, second gets 18 points all the way down to the last rider, who gets 1 point. At the end of the Zwift series, the rider with the most points will be awarded the NCC Zwift Series title.
Participants may ride any time during the day or participate in the group ride version at 5:30 PM. In the group ride version, we typically warm up together before individually completing the time trial.
This was the penultimate event in the series. Going into today, everyone was in a tight race for positions. After learning his lesson a few weeks ago, Dusty did his Zwift time trial ride prior to his 50-mile outdoor ride.
We had seven participants in the group ride, eight if you count Dusty eating dinner and talking with us. Henry and Andrew were dreading the four laps. As we cooled down, Zinj showed us his impressive floor pump. Melissa and I were absolutely shocked that the man obsessed with scientific analysis of bike components was using a pump with an analog gauge!
Henry vdB accidentally only rode two hard laps. With his warmup and cool down laps, he got the required four laps, but a slower time than expected.
Charlie, Dusty, Henry vdB., and Henry W. earned single lap PRs this evening.
Here are today’s results:
1. O’Keeffe, Jonathan; Time: 0:22:35; 27.9 mph; Splits: 0:05:39|0:05:40|0:05:41|0:05:35; 10 points
2. Weis, Henry; Time: 0:22:37; 27.1 mph; Splits: 0:05:38|0:05:42|0:05:40|0:05:37*; 9 points
3. King, Dusty; Time: 0:23:19; 26.2 mph; Splits: 0:05:35*|0:05:56|0:06:01|0:05:47; 8 points
4. Guo, ZInj; Time: 0:23:30; 26 mph; Splits: 0:05:45|0:05:53|0:05:55|0:05:57; 7 points
5. Pazmany, Andrew; Time: 0:23:40; 25.9 mph; Splits: 0:05:50|0:05:54|0:05:57|0:05:59; 6 points
6. Warwick, Melissa; Time: 0:24:13; 25.3 mph; Splits: 0:05:58|0:06:03|0:06:08|0:06:04; 5 points
7. Weinman, Kevin; Time: 0:24:40; 24.8 mph; Splits: 0:05:59|0:06:08|0:06:15|0:06:18; 4 points
8. Bailey, Charlie; Time: 0:24:47; 24.7 mph; Splits: 0:05:55*|0:06:07|0:06:24|0:06:21; 3 points
9. Bello, Michael; Time: 0:25:17; 24.2 mph; Splits: 0:06:04|0:06:18|0:06:30|0:06:25; 2 points
10. van den Broek, Henry; Time: 0:27:05; 22.6 mph; Splits: 0:07:22|0:05:54|0:05:50*|0:07:59; 1 point
Here are the series standings:
1. Weis, Henry; Event(s) 9; Points: 107
2. King, Dusty; Event(s) 10; Points: 104
3. Weinman, Kevin; Event(s) 8; Points: 90
3. O’Keeffe, Jonathan; Event(s) 9; Points: 90
5. Guo, Zinj; Event(s) 10; Points: 82
6. Pazmany, Andrew; Event(s) 9; Points: 70
7. Bailey, Charlie; Event(s) 9; Points: 58.5
8. van den Broek, Henry; Event(s) 8; Points: 55
9. Warwick, Melissa; Event(s) 10; Points: 51.5
10. Bello, Michael; Event(s) 10; Points: 36
11. Lellman, Joseph; Event(s) 7; Points: 30
12. Weinberg, Ben; Event(s) 2; Points: 23
13. Krause, Ashley; Event(s) 5; Points: 16
14. Goodwin, David; Event(s) 5; Points: 14
15. Poe, Carson; Event(s) 1; Points: 13
15. Niesen, Chris; Event(s) 1; Points: 13
17. Coleman, Jeremy; Event(s) 5; Points: 6.5
18. Condon, Sean; Event(s) 2; Points: 4.5
19. Kothe, Kathryn; Event(s) 3; Points: 4
20. Cahillane, Dan; Event(s) 1; Points: 3
21. Wise, Greg; Event(s) 1; Points: 1
For the finale next week, we will climb the Alpe du Zwift. With the extra length comes extra points. Double points are on the line and an additional point will be awarded for a personal record. This is not an April Fools Day gag. Every second will matter as Henry and Dusty each attempt to win the Winter series.
Remember that the outdoor time trial/hill climb series starts on Tuesday, April 6th.